Finding joy in the small things

Monday, March 21, 2011

"Head like a fucking orange"

If you know me at all, you know that my absolute favorite movie in this world is Monty Python and the Holy Grail. There is just something remarkably hilarious about british humor and their silly-sounding accents.

It all started when my boyfriend came home from tour a few months ago and introduced me to a television show that airs in the UK called Sky1. His fellow guitar tech buddy is from London and has the oppertunity to watch this show on the regular. The show is called 'An Idiot Abroad' and is hosted by the clever Stephen Merchant and the always funny Ricky Gervais. Ricky Gervais is at all times hilarious and borderline offensive so anything created by him calls my attention. On this show they send one of their friends Karl Pilkington (The Idiot) to the 7 wonders of the world. Knowing that he is unappreciative of the beautiful things in this world they figure what a perfect thing to do, send this idiot abroad to these 'wonders' and tourter him the whole way. Put him in hostels where he can experience some of the most disgusting experiences of his life ( Like shitting in a hole in the ground with no toilet paper) or making him stay with a gay transexual (who whores himself out at night and makes Karl buy a swim suit that basically only covers his bits while he sits on a gay beach). While traveling he gets a chance to experience some remarkably wonderful once-in-a-lifetime events. Like an excursion through the Amazon while visiting Machu Picchu in Peru. He sleeps with insects, eats food out of packages and has to communicate with local tribes. We all think that having the chance to see such amazing things like Taj Mahal and The Colosseum would be a gift but these are the things that he has to say about them:




Here are some famous idiotic quotes from the show:

"What's so good about The Amazon? Can't be that good; there are things in it that would rather live in me knob."

"Great place to live...if you're deaf. That's what I'd say about Rio. Lovely and relaxing if you're deaf."

"The Great wall of China?...The alright wall of China."

Pointing at the Pyramids “It’s like a massive game of Jenga that has got out of hand.”

“I need garlic, I need garlic. Is it in that fridge, or that fridge? No it’s in the corner on the floor next to the dead cockroach.”

" Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful. "


Not only is this the absolute most hilarous show that I've ever seen in my life, it opened me up to religiously listening to 'The Ricky Gervais Guide To...' Seasons 1 and 2 on my iPod and downloading every episode of The Ricky Gervais Show.
Laugh.Out.Loud.





Hearing readings from Karl's journal 'A Day in the Life' on Ricky's pod cast and watching animation that looks identical to them is something that I literally cannot get enough of.

Here are some quotes from The Ricky Gervais Show:

On dopplegangers - "How would I know which one I was?" -Podcast Series 2, Episode One

"Does the brain control you or are you controlling the brain? I don't know if I'm in charge of mine." -Podcast Series 2, Episode Six

Karl's diary - "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, "Did I tell you about the immune system?" Suzanne starting laughing, I said it's amazing. She said, "Not now." " -Podcast - Bonus Disc

"I came up with a good idea....see through skin" -Podcast Series 2, Episode Five

"You get nothin' done by plannin'"

"I could eat a knob at night." -Podcast Series 1, Episode Three

"Whether it's a potato or a nut, it's a foodage!" -Podcast Series 3, Episode Four

"Just been into the zoo, 'avin a look round an that. Went into the, er, into the aquarium. Mental, the amount of fish that are knockin' about" -3 Minute Wonder, Episode 1

"I'd kick it, and I'd say 'You knob-head'." - Karl tells Ricky his response to being poisoned by an octopus. -Podcast Series 2, Episode Six

"I saw a cockroach playing Pacman. It was on the internet, right, and somebody had linked up a cockroach to err... to some... I can't even be bothered explaining it, but that's what I'm saying - everything is moving on" -"The Podfather Trilogy, Episode 3 Christmas"

"Walking down the street in London with Suzanne, saw a little homeless.. well I didn't see the homeless bloke right, I saw a leg stickin out of a doorway, thought 'here we go', right. Walked past it, right, you're not gonna believe this. Homeless.... chinese fella. I've never seen one of them." -Podcast Series 1, Episode Four



My new thing to love: Karl Pilkington. The man with a head like a fucking orange.



1 comment:

  1. This made my morning. I adore KP, and you transcribe him well. #lurkingonnewfriends

    - Jeff D

    ReplyDelete